Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Maktub Essay Winner - Fatima Mujahid

I am from Pakistan, a country that is tagged as the most dangerous place to live on earth, a country where chaos and bloodshed has laced each and every aspect of an individual’s life. Beneath this layer of despair however, lies a place that is home to one of the richest cultures in the world, a culture that is so whole and lively that it would be impossible for an outsider to comprehend the true essence of it. Sadly enough, I was one of the many people who were too engrossed in trying to overcome the problems of the nation that I somehow didn’t realize the attractiveness of my surroundings till I stepped out of my country.

In Pakistani culture, great emphasis is placed on clothes and dressing up. There is a huge industry that flourishes but unfortunately is taken for granted by many. I for one, just designed, bought and wore clothes but never really thought about the significance of various attires. After coming to Qatar, I realized that the liberty to choose dresses in a variety of colors actually portrays open mindedness and freedom of women. The attire is definitely in conjunction with the Islamic religion but adds color to the nation as a whole. Dresses like Shalwar Kameez, Peshwas and Lehngas also reflect upon our Mughal history, and preserves it in a way.

Food in Pakistan is another aspect that makes my culture different from the rest. Back home, I always wondered why so much emphasis is put on eating at every occasion; now I realize that it is a mode of bridging gaps and opening channels of communication. Talks and discussions are held over lunches/dinners and breakfast becomes an excuse for bringing the family together on a Sunday. In a very subtle way, food ties the people together. From street vendors to posh restaurants, everyone has enough to eat with the money that they earn. Street vendors not only attract the poor but cater to the elites as well; this is very uncommon in other cultures around the globe and I now perceive this as something that creates a sense of unity in Pakistan by reducing the gaps between the rich and the poor.

Family is one more thing that makes up the Pakistani culture. Great emphasis is laid on spending time with ones parents and living in one house till marriage. Growing up, I always felt like I was not given enough privacy when needed; there were times when I got annoyed and cursed the whole system. However, since after coming to Qatar, I feel blessed to have been brought up in such a setting. Very few people have the privilege of having a constant support system and somebody around all the time to love and pamper him or her. I believe my culture gave me all of that and more. The same time that I spent with family getting irritated is now something that I hold very dear to my heart; it has taught me how to deal with other people in my life, have made me stronger and ready to face the world.

All these things and more have made me perceive my culture differently. From being thankful for the food and appreciating time spent with my family, I feel blessed to have grown up in a culture that preserves the history and depicts the future. Jawaharlal Nehru very rightly said, “Culture is the widening of the mind and of the spirit.” And I wouldn’t have realized it if I hadn’t come to Qatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed my the moderator. All posts should be respectful and not include profane, offensive or defamatory comments.